Squeaky mast gate!

HOME forums A General Discussion Squeaky mast gate!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Azimuth
    Participant

Hi All,

My mast gate is really rather squeaky – mainly noticeable in light winds… the competition on the river are starting to complain and it’s annoying me too! Anyone else had this problem? Any solutions to suggest?

I’ve tried the obvious marine silicone lubricant but this makes no difference…

Thanks,
    Keith

GBR-61GBR-61
    Keymaster

Hi Keith
    A common problem, particularly where different materials meet. I was recommended candle wax which seems to work for a while.

Cheers
    John

TimN
    Participant

Hi

I put a 2mm thick PTFE disc under the mast foot and it stopped the squeaks

Tim

Azimuth
    Participant

Hi Both,

Many thanks for your thoughts! I think my problem is the gate at deck level rather than the foot – althought I will try to check this on land at the weekend.

Think I will try candles first – easy and cheap! Hadn’t heard of ptfe sheets/film so that’s a useful idea to have as back up – thanks!

Did some more googling after posting last night – other possible options I found were graphite spray/powder (for locks) and ptfe spray – anyone used these?

Cheers,
    Keith

CosmicSplash
    Participant

Keith
    PTFE discs are easily obtained, often used in the base of the mast well on lasers to prevent wear.
    I’ve used PTFE spray to good effect for reducing friction raising the fixed centreboard and rudder blades on Musto skiff. But neither have solved the noisy mast I have on my Finn! I might try the candlewax!
    John

Azimuth
    Participant

Thanks John – I’m glad it’s not just me! Sounds like we’re both heading toward a sailing club armed with a candle at the weekend!

Cheers
    Keith

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.