Deck repairer needed

HOME forums A General Discussion Deck repairer needed

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Stewart MitchellStewart Mitchell
    Participant

Hi There

I have a PATA B4 which inverted at the nationals and broke its mast in the sand there. GJW were excellent and I soon had a new mast from Sunotuched.

However the strain on the deck has put hairline cracks in the clear gelcoat around the mast gate. Im sure its not structural but I need it repaired.

Can someone please recommend a boat repair shop that can quote for this please? I am in the south of scotland so no-one in the south of England is suitable, probaly from midlands upwards please.

Thanks

Stewart

GBR567GBR567
    Participant

Stewart, I cannot recommend a repairer in the north, but this may be a job you can do yourself.

Turn the boat upside down at a height you can get yourself into the cockpit to see the deck around the mastgate. Clean the area up with acetone and put some glassfiber mat over the area, ensuring it overlaps enough to provide strength to the cracked area. Once it has hardened, turn the boat back and give it a polish. The cracks will not be a problem as the mat underneath will compensate. If you need to fill the cracks use a clear gelcoat having opened the crack up very slightly into a shallow V. This is especially difficult to do so is really a last resort. Before you apply and resins/gel always wash the area with acetone.

Good luck

Martin

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by GBR567GBR567.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.