New Halyard lock problem

HOME forums A General Discussion New Halyard lock problem

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    James Collins
    Participant

Hello,

I recently bought a new halyard from Suntouched after my old one failed. This has worked well with no issues.
    However, 20minutes before the start of my race on Wednesday evening, I attempted to hoist my sail and could not get the lock to engage. In-haul and down haul both eased, kicker off, next to no wind. The lock felt like it had engaged but would then release. I ended up tiring a figure of 8 in the halyard and just about made the start!

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? My main thinking is that the halyard lock is worn and might need replacing. Although it looked ok to my inexperienced eyes when I re-threaded the new halyard into my HIT mast.

Any help much appreciated!!

Thanks
    James

GBR567GBR567
    Participant

James there are a couple of likely causes.

1 check the distance between the ball on the new and old halyards. Older masts often had the cleat located lower in the mast.

2. The halyard lock on an old mast can split and then not work. It will drop out of the mast very easily and is also easy to put back.

Check out both of these before trying anything else more radical.

James Collins
    Participant

Thank you very much!
    I’ll drop the mast and have a look. I think it’s more likely to be the second issue as the ball is in the same place on the new halyard.
    It’s a simple system I suppose so it makes sense what you’re saying. I’ll let you know how I go on!
    Cheers

James Collins
    Participant

Thank you very much!
    I’ll drop the mast and have a look. I think it’s more likely to be the second issue as the ball is in the same place on the new halyard.
    It’s a simple system I suppose so it makes sense what you’re saying. I’ll let you know how I go on!
    Cheers

Rodney Cobb
    Participant

James, Just emailed you this message: ‘Just a simple thought but, normally, it’s a good idea to have a little tension when locking the halyard in as it’s otherwise easy to pull it a fraction too far so that it easily releases. I always hoist the final few inches by pulling the halyard at the same time as pulling down on the luff then when it clicks it’s in the lock.’

Sorry I didn’t respond sooner but not always monitoring the forum.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.