Help! Mast butt location

HOME forums A General Discussion Help! Mast butt location

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Marcus Ward
    Participant

Hi guys, I’ve got an older Vanguard Finn here in the US in pretty good shape. I managed to pick up a Latini mast for it this season and it’s going pretty fast when I point it the right way. I’m updating it this winter with one of the Devoti glass-in deck rings and I’m having some trouble making sure it’s in the right spot. Most guides say to put it around 630-645mm aft of the stem. My current ring is fixed and is 675mm aft of the stem. My mast step is all the way forward currently to get 22’1″ of rake with this mast an an older D2 North Sail. I’m worried if I glass it in at 645, 30mm forward of the current position, I’ll have trouble raking back to get the right tension, in other words, I’m worried my mast step is too far aft.

Can someone with a more modern boat measure the distance from the transom where we normally measure rake to their mast cup so I can see what sort of numbers I’m shooting for? I think I can move the mast step forward by unbolting and modifying it but I’d rather not if I can avoid it.

My boat is cut out where the rudder sits, if the boat you’re measuring has a gunnel in this area, let me know how thick it is so I can subtract it from my numbers.

I’m in Colorado. I’ve got US986, Jim Kirk’s old boat, if anyone is familiar with him or it.

Thank you.

Peter VintonPeter Vinton
    Participant

Marcus,
    My 1963 Fairey Finn has the back edge of the deck ring at 3730mm from the transom edge and the front of the ring is 675 from the bow. On the original rules the deck ring had to be 680 +\- 5mm from the bow so mine is as far forward as possible. On my Devoti (1998) the mast ring in its fully aft position is in the same position as my Fairey, 3730 from the transom edge. The basic setting for the rig is 35mm forward from this and up to 50mm in stronger winds. Your mast step will probably need to be moved further forward to get the right leech tension with the mast forward but as a starting point I’d suggest your step needs to be able to move up to 50mm forward of your current position.

Marcus Ward
    Participant

Hi Peter,

It ended up as you said. Full aft on the deck ring = old mast deck ring location, and the mast butt ended up being moved forward 50mm/2 inches. I haven’t got the boat all back together yet, finishing up the paint, but the numbers match other late model boats so I think I’ll be okay. I have a ton of adjustment in the mast step, probably 4 inches. Thanks for your reply.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.